Child Custody Attorneys Kenosha and Racine
Fill out the form below to recieve a confidential initial consultation.

I have Read the Disclaimer?

Child Custody Lawyers

Child Custody Lawyers Kenosha and Racine

Serving Kenosha, Racine, Walworth, Waukesha, and Milwaukee Counties

The Kenosha child custody lawyers at Renée E. Mura S.C. are skilled in the litigation of child custody, visitation and support cases. The firm’s attorneys have significant experience in family law. Their experience enables them to expertly prepare their cases and assist their clients. This preparation and experience is invaluable at trial and often the key to settling a case without the need for a trial. The skill set, dedication, and integrity of the attorneys at Renée E. Mura, S.C. makes them the best advocates for their clients in child custody and physical placement cases.

Attorney’s note: Under Wisconsin law, the term custody refers to decision making authority and physical placement refers to who the child(ren) reside with.

Child Custody Attorneys Advocating for Your Decision-Making Authority

Whether you seek to pursue sole custody or legal advice on the matter, the child custody attorneys at Renée E. Mura S.C. can help. Legal custody gives decision-making authority to parents for major decisions such as authorization for nonemergency health care, consent to obtain a driver’s license and choice of school or religion. Joint custody gives parents equal decision-making authority. Under Wisconsin law, courts start with the presumption that joint custody is in the best interests of the child(ren), however, this presumption can be overcome. There are many circumstances where sole custody may be granted, including cases of domestic abuse or circumstances where a parent is incapable of performing parental duties and responsibilities, or a parent unreasonably refuses to cooperate with another parent. The attorneys at Renée E. Mura S.C. are experienced in litigating these types of disputes and understand how to use evaluations, brief writing, motion practice and experts, if necessary, to advocate for their clients and their minor children.

Wisconsin Physical Placement Lawyers Fighting for Your Right to Time with Your Child(ren)

Physical placement is the actual time a child will spend in a parent’s care. Under Wisconsin law, children are entitled to periods of physical placement with both parents unless it is proven that a parent is a danger to the child’s physical, mental, or emotional wellbeing. The court will order a schedule of physical placement for a child, allowing the child to have meaningful and regularly occurring periods of time with each parent. Many factors are considered when determining the physical placement schedule. The family law attorneys and staff at Renée E. Mura, S.C. are committed to their clients and to ensuring that every effort is made to protect the best interests of the children at the heart of these disputes. The attorneys are experts at utilizing aggressive advocacy and trial preparation to assist their clients, and their children. Furthermore, the firm has extensive experience enabling them to identify those circumstances where experts, evaluations and other services may be necessary. The additional steps taken by the firm’s physical placement lawyers ensure the best case possible is put before the court.

Contact our Kenosha child custody attorneys when you need help with a child custody or physical placement case.

Legal Custody and Physical Placement FAQs

The following is provided for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute legal advice. Your review of the information on our website does not establish an attorney-client relationship with our firm. Each case is unique and you should contact a competent attorney for a full analysis of the law and its application to the specific facts and circumstances of your case. The information on our website is not a substitute for personal legal advice.

Q: What is legal custody?

A: Legal custody refers to the right and responsibility to make major decisions for a minor child. Major decisions include, but are not limited to: consent to marry, consent to enter military service, consent to obtain a motor vehicle operator’s license, authorization for non-emergency health care, choice of school, and choice of religion.

Q: What is physical placement?

A: Physical placement refers to where a minor child resides day-to-day. A parent who is awarded periods of physical placement of a minor child has the right to have the child physically placed with them during those times and has the right to make routine daily decisions regarding the minor child’s care, consistent with the major decisions made by the person(s) having legal custody of the minor child.

Q: What is a Guardian ad Litem?

A: A Guardian ad Litem (GAL) is an attorney appointed by the court to represent the best interest of your child(ren). The court will appoint a GAL if the parents cannot agree on what legal custody and/or physical placement order is in the best interest of their child(ren). The GAL will offer their opinion to the court about what legal custody and/or physical placement order is in the best interest of your child(ren).

Q: How is child support calculated?

A: Child support is calculated based on various formulas that can be found in the Wisconsin Statutes. The calculation of a child support order takes into account the incomes of the parents, the physical placement schedule for the minor child(ren), and the percentage standard for the number of children subject to the order. Other factors are also taken into consideration when calculating child support, such as whether a parent is a high income payer or whether a parent has other children they are supporting through another child support order.

Q: How long do I have to pay child support?

A: A parent’s child support obligation continues until the child is 18 years old, or until the child is 19 years old if pursuing a high school diploma or its equivalent. However, a child support order may be reviewed periodically. The order may be changed upon the court finding a substantial change in circumstances, such as a change in a parent’s income or a change in the physical placement schedule.

Return to Our Full List of Kenosha Divorce Attorneys Practice Areas